George at Studio 2GLF 89.3 fm

George at Studio 2GLF 89.3 fm
Broadcasting Emission Kontak

Monday 27 February 2012

Melbourne, the friendliest city in Australia

You read any tourist promotion material on Australia and they will all say that Melbourne is the friendliest city. This assessment is confirmed by any visitor from overseas of from interstate.No matter the time or season, the visitor is always taken care of in one way or another.
In the past, it was said that Melbourne had the worst climate, the most versatile to the extent of having four seasons in a day and the coldest winter.
Many Melbournians would agree that the city was very cold in the sixties and seventies but not any more. Now Melbourne has the hottest summer which makes many of its inhabitants uncomfortable as they prefer cold weather, having been used to it.
The weather in Melbourne has changed a lot and this is seen by the vegetation. Fruit trees and vegetables that would not grow previously, even up to the nineties, are not blossoming in Melbourne. Many of my friends and relatives, now have a beautiful vegetable garden and tropical fruit tress in their backyards.
If the weather was cold and has gone warmer, the people of Melbourne have always been warm and welcoming. They like partying with friends and relatives. Every occasion is a good one, not an excuse. The visitor is always welcomed and greeted in the most cordial and friendly manner. Food and drinks will be abundant and all the family and friends will flock around.
Each time I visit Melbourne I enjoyed my stay and each time I find that this time it has been better. There is always a ball, a social activity or  cultural show.  On the family side there will always be a birthday or a family gathering of some sort.
In ten days I attended two family anniversaries, a mini-fair at the Rodriguan Social Club of Victoria and there was a multi-cultural show at Clayton.
My girl friend Marie, with very short notice, invited some of her relatives for a small gathering and it turned out to be a big party with plenty of food and drinks. Each one  brought a plate and drinks. The night was very friendly and I immediately enjoyed  company of  people I never met before. The relationship was sincere and spontaneous. The conversation was interesting and the atmosphere enjoyable.  I could feel the warmth and sincerity and I was really overwhelmed.
I had a such good time.
After ten days when we left Melbourne, my mother cried. she has visited Melbourne so many times and I tried to understand why she cried this time. It is simply because in Sydney she never felt so surrounded and taken care of.  Our cousins,Ringo and Dette have spoiled her so much with good food and tenderness. Not forgetting how our friend Donaldson made her laugh.
The warmth and friendliness of the people of Melbourne had cut through her bones.
I also felt sad and promised that we will go back to Melbourne more often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment